Friday, April 29, 2005

Destiny

(This is one of my older poems, and not a particularly good one. Is it because I don't really hold the opinions expressed in it?)

I don’t believe in luck.
I don’t carry the foot of a rabbit,
Or the tooth of a woodchuck.
I refuse to accept that it
Controls my destiny.

By the laws of probability,
The longer your run of luck,
The lower the probability
Of it staying stuck;
And you come crashing down.

I don’t believe in fate;
It is an excuse for failure
That I absolutely hate.
My life’s like this, I’m sure,
Because I made it this way.

Your actions today
Decide what you are tomorrow.
I have one last thing to say:
If your life’s full of sorrow,
Do not weep, but seek to set things right.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hey great poems maan!

but i'm still intrigued. what does PLC mean?

Prashanth said...

Haha... not the kind of question I expected on a poetry blog! Ok, my fault for mentioning my thesis here in the first place.

PLC = Programmable Logic Controllers

Used in discrete control of manufacturing systems and process control in chemical plants.

Aren't you sorry you asked now? :P

Unknown said...

naah, actually not. I was expecting something of the kind Linear Predictive Coding, but realised it was PLC, not LPC :D!

neways, isn't Prolog used somewhere in PLC? me trying to learn prolog, so interested.

again, if only to re-iterate, your poems rock!

Kirthi said...

So the prophet of Chennai Patnam is back with what he is best at doing : giving us, purblind pagans a sense of direction.

Welcome back dude.
Nice poem. There is something that I'd like to point out: A tiny spark can incinerate an entire stack of hay that you have made when the sun was shining. 1% of mischance can ruin 99% of industry.