Wednesday, June 01, 2005

What Matters?

(Just dug this one up. Wrote it last year in forty minutes for my creative writing exam... those were the days...)

Things which move me,
And make me feel free;
A bright butterfly, a golden sunset,
A field of dandelions, a melodious dulcet;
Thus spoke the dreamy poet.

Bessel functions and differential equations,
Partial derivatives and slide rule calculations;
An underlying order in nature's every creation
For which man still seeks an explanation;
So said the thoughtful mathematician.

The enchanting lilt of a clear, sweet voice
In which one may dissolve and rejoice:
The harmony of a well struck chord,
The reason why noise is easy, but music is hard;
The musician said this, and the bard.

The fact that there are buildings a hundred storeys tall,
The way the Ancient Chinese built the Great Wall,
The miracle of the Leaning Tower still standing,
The magnificence of the Taj Mahal, beyond understanding;
Said the architect's voice commanding.

The integrity of our borders,
The obeying of a superior's orders,
Power and Glory,
Battle and Victory;
I gathered from the General's story.

I listened to all, but none convinced me,
Until a grubby orphan, running careless and free,
Said in a voice that rang innocent and true,
"You need someone to care for you,
To be with you, hold you and love you."
Tell me, dear reader,
Do you not agree?


5 comments:

Tipsy Topsy said...

yes. we do. *sigh*.

Prashanth said...

What was the sigh for? Poor little Tipsy. Big bad world not caring enough for you?

Kirthi said...

I loved the ending.

Prashanth said...

Thanks! If I were capable of blushing, I would :p

Vc said...

How come Kirthi just likes the ending ? The climax? Doesn't she know that its the beginning that makes the ending so thoughful ?

:)hehe... clap clap.