Sunday, August 06, 2006

Have Faith

When as a child I played in the fields,
Fell and bruised my knees,
I cried out for pain, and for someone
To lead me by the hand to the doors of my home...

As I pored over my books,
And racked my head at ideas obscure,
I hoped for someone to peer over my shoulder
And bring the elusive meanings within my grasp...

When I stood at the crossroads,
Hesitant and unsure,
I wished someone would step out of the blue
And give me a sign, show me the way...

When I lay fevered in bed,
My face contorted in pain;
I prayed for someone to come to me
And heal me with a touch of his hand...

As I walked alone on a thorny road,
I yearned for someone to keep me company
To keep my thoughts together,
And my sanity intact...

One day I sat, silent, in the House of God,
And asked, by what right do you expect Faith
When you have never been there
As I walked my path of Life?

But now I wonder...

Was it your gentle hand that wiped my tears away
And bade me walk home that day?

Was it your invisible touch that guided me to the right books
So that I may ask, and think, and learn?

Was it your comforting presence that told me
No matter which way I go, everything will be alright?

Was it your smiling face that gave me strength
To face my illness and come out a better man?

Was it you who sent those special friends
To keep me company on the thorny road?

Was it your unspoken voice,
That told me every day,
"Have Faith"?

9 comments:

sunshine said...

really nice!

Prashanth said...

I don't believe this! I didn't know anyone read this page :)

Thank you, sunshine!

alraqs said...

~ finally, I am here...that spoke to me :)...simple and good...
~ aaah, why do you force me to sign in? so much effort!

Prashanth said...

:) come now, don't be lazy!

Kirthi said...

SP,
This one's much better than "The Slightest Excuse". So meaningful and simple.
And I told you so, it's going to come. Yeah sometimes you need to push yourself to get there.
To tell you the truth, the last one I wrote, the first time I wrote it, it was incomplete. I started afresh, chucked the rhyme scheme out of the window and let my mind flow. Sometimes you have to let go of some rules to let the metaphor do the job.
Yours is a unique style of poetry: I guess you really like to give it fully and clearly to the reader. I tend to keep it a little closed and I have this strange obsession with nature.

Prashanth said...

Kk, I don't think I employ the metaphor as much as you... or perhaps I just do so in a more subtle way. End of the day, I guess you're right and we're totally different in our styles :)

... and yeah, I too liked this one better than The Slightest Excuse.

The Mad Girl said...

very very nice!

RSP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RSP said...

i think i can guess what all could have gone thru in ur mind when u wrote this.. i donno the relevance of the period but i thikn i can guess.. beautifully written man..

i can see that ur standards were high ;)