Monday, March 28, 2005

Soul Searching

(A very underrated poem of mine. I guess it's because I am the only person who can understand all the undercurrents in these verses. One of my favourites.)

I like to think of myself
As a lonely book
On an empty shelf
That does not wish to look
Anywhere but inside,
Where a zillion thoughts collide,
But nothing fruitful results.

I like to think of myself
As a lonely star in the sky,
Beaming brightly to itself,
Content to stay there and lie
Unconcerned and unbothered,
With innocence unsmothered,
Completely at peace.

I like to think of myself
As a dew drop on a rose,
Not beautiful by itself,
But you look real close,
Simply because it is able
To add that extra sparkle
To its chosen domain.

I like to think of myself
As a lonely little goldfish,
Looking around from its glass bowl,
With a secret wish
To be out there,
But just does not dare
To even give it a try.

Soul searching is not my specialization,
So I shall end my introspection,
For I truly believe
That the person who knows me best
Is you.

4 comments:

Prashanth said...

Thanks again. Don't sell yourself short, though. You just haven't tried.

shriesh said...

Hey dude, lovely one but, can i get to know most of the undercurrents in this piece tat u mentioned in the beginning?

Prashanth said...

(sigh) I hate explaining this kind of stuff... in every paragraph, I talk about some characteristics of myself.

First: Introspective; introverted; active mind, tendency to think a lot, but usually not coherent enough or pursued long enough to its culmination

Second: Like tranquility in my life; like to be alone at times; steadfast, a beacon for the lost

Third: Not particularly outstanding or special by myself, but an asset to anyone or any place i work for

Fourth: Shy; used to a small environment, close circle of friends and family

Fifth: My friends can predict me better than I can!


Oh well, after that long explanation, one might argue that those are not undercurents. I guess that was a bad choice of words then. I meant to say that only me and a few of my close friends can appreciate the poem in the context my nature, in real life.

jute said...

Hi, just blog hopping here. Hope you don't mind me leaving a piece of my mind.

I like your poem for its slow cadence, almost musing. Your similes speak a lot of who you are.